Babara Kay Strikes Back To the Future

I’m sorry to go after her again, but I’m lazy and it’s just too easy.

Everybody’s favourite National Post columnist Barbara Kay is all exited about a new film she just discovered called “L’illusion Tranquille” by Joanne Marcotte.  The movie is nearly two years old but Barbara just heard about it, presumably because of the dubbed version that just came out.

L’Illusion Tranquille is documentary about what Québec’s Right considers the failure of the Québec Model.

The Québec Model is a one-size-fits-all of a concept used to describe all that is supposedly different about Québec’s economics, things like cheap tuition, cheap electricity, government intervention, one of the biggest cooperative sectors of the free market economies, high income taxes and low corporate taxes.

Everything that makes Québec either the shinning beacon of progressive capitalism or a stray Soviet republic, depending on where you stand.

We all know where the National Post and Barbara Kay stand:

“See [L’Illusion Tranquille] to be informed, but if for no other reason, see it to penetrate the wall of silence used by the mainstream francophone media to shield their audiences against criticism of the “sacrosanct” Quebec Model.  The wall of silence ensured that press reaction to the French-language version of the film was, predictably, to shoot the messenger rather than acknowledge the message.”

See, this is what you get when you hire someone as uninformed about the society she lives in as Barbara Kay to write commentary about Québec.

L’Illusion Tranquille actually received an unprecedented amount of coverage in the Québec media considering it was small budget film made by a pair with no film-making experience.  Just about every political commentator in the province wrote about or discussed the movie.

Canal D, a very popular cable channel, bought the right to air it 15 times.

This is an astonishing response for what turned out to be an uneven movie that even the people featured in it refused to endorse. The more enthusiastic called it a healthy Micheal Moore-style exercise in shit-stirring.  The others dismissed it as a Micheal Moore-style exercise in shit-stirring…

L’Illusion Tranquille was first screened in November 2006.  Four months later, the conservative Action Démocratique du Québec and Mario Dumont became the official opposition in Québec’s National Assembly on a pledge to overhaul the “Québec Model”.  In front of them sat the Premier, Jean Charest, twice elected on a promise to re-engineer the “Québec model”.

In June 2007, six months after the movie came out, the film’s director, Joanne Marcotte, was named by the Premier to a government commission presided by former health minister Claude Castonguay on health care financing in Québec.

In six months Joanne Marcotte went from complete nobody to government consultant on the provincial government’s biggest budget expenditure, health care.

They sure shut her up!

This is the bizarre upside down world of Barbara Kay: a world where marching for peace is an act of terrorism and where speaking French in Québec is an adventure.

What really bothers Barbara Kay about Québec is not the wall of silence, but precisely the absence of this wall.  Barbara Kay has a problem with the fact that there is actually a relatively healthy debate on the issues in Québec and that people don’t automatically buy the Right’s Miracle Magic solutions to all that’s wrong in the world.

She has a problem with the fact that people in Québec ask the Right annoying questions like: Why are we in Afghanistan?  What good will come of sending 14 year old children to jail when Québec already has the lowest crime rate in Canada?  How exactly is the sad parody of capitalism currently collapsing all around us better than the Québec Model?

Or questions like: Am I wrong or is your latest column not just a rewrite of a 2007 column by Henry Aubin?

October 25, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Posted in AngryFrenchGuy Speaks!

Tagged with

1. Cancerous,

I don’t normally post here, but I want to talk to you, from a Quebecer to someone who probably doesn’t know this place very well. You are someone who will defend Quebec at all costs, and bash Toronto and the West for not being as “progressive” or whatever, but I want to let you know something.

Quebec is not perfect.

Shocking, isn’t it?

We are neither better, nor worse than anywhere else, we are just different. We do things our way, so does Ontario, so does California, Belgium, China, etc. Sometimes we do things that are good, sometimes things that are bad. Quebec is not as one-dimensional as you would like it to be. Quebec builds a lot of bike paths, that’s true. We also build a lot of highways. Montreal may not have as big of an economy as Toronto, but the “economic factor” is well and alive, and it’s not a city only floating on arts and culture. It seems that your view is Quebec is this ever-so-perfect paradise that can do no wrong, while the West are evil pigs that can do no right and Toronto is not as progressive and open-minded as Montreal.

You obviously live with a romanticized version of life in Quebec (“It’s so progressive, it’s so cultural, it’s so artistic, etc”), and bash Toronto for something trivial like state of TTC’s vehicles (have you ever rode the bus here?). You see, in Quebec, we don’t see things in black and white. People here tend to be more open to a wider variety of ideas. We realize that issues are not one-dimensional in nature. It’s not that we just subscribe blindingly to some kind of “progressive” ideology the same way that people like you do and outright reject all others, it’s that we actually are able to critically think and form opinions by ourselves.

People like you though, who paint themselves as progressives, are surprisingly closed-minded in their behavior. Rather than opening up to new ideas (also known as open-mindedness), you seem to stick to washed up insults. You ridicule anyone who disagrees with you (e.g. ABP) as a hypocrite or worse but you fail to come up with a rebuttal, or an exchange of ideas. Insulting someone personally doesn’t do anything to the strength of their ideas. Rather, it shows a weakness on the strength of your ideas.

Despite what ABP says, agree or disagree, he is able to able to take a position and defend it. I have my own opinions, and I may agree or disagree with his, but at the end of the day, I have broadened my horizons because I have taken take the time to see his point, scrutinize it, and make conclusions on my own.

That’s called freedom of thought.

For you to be so closed-minded to the point where your only reaction is seemingly to call people “hypocrite” and recite the same lines heard everywhere else, that’s not being open-minded, or showing us your “progressive side”, you’re just showing us that you’re as backwards as the Albertans/Westerners/etc of the world that you so seemingly despise.

Andy

November 1, 2008 at 11:01 pm

2. Well Wisher: “AFG likes to have fun with the angryphone contingent (and McCartney fans), and given the foamy-mouth responses that he gets from some of the wingnuts in this forum one can see why. But in fairness, he posts other stuff as well– music, arts– you guys just don’t read those.

I’m an english-speaker, but certainly not a “self-hating” one. Not being Canadian, I don’t have a dog in that fight as they say. But I am a fan of Canada, and of Quebec, and while I admire both places, I don’t see any real reason why they absolutely must be the same country.

And if someone thought that they were ill-treated in some province because they didn’t speak the “right” language, or if they wanted a different school for their kids, or whatever, and they couldn’t get satisfaction in the province they’re in, why would they not just move to the next province over? (In fact, it seems all of the angryphones on this forum have done just that.) Surely those issues are not the heart of the problem, not really, not if there is such an easy solution to them. So what’s going on up there?”

Sure, he has a sense of humour, but I also think he and others genuinely don’t like anglos very much and make very little effort to hide that. The number of comments that start with “the problem with anglos..” or “anglos are always…” is only sorta disturbing, but the way responses to those comments are dismissed as angryphone mouth-foaming is alarming. You just won’t find those kind of generalizations about francophones anywhere on this blog, except by the occasional one-post provocateur. Even Barabara Kay (hey I’m on topic) is capable of offereing a nuanced critique of some aspects of Quebec society, while praising others. And she’s the worst Quebec-basher on the planet, apparantly.

As you are aware, many anglos have left Quebec. Personally, I don’t see anything strange about feeling attached to your home, despite having a few beefs with it. I knew plenty of Americans who were supposed to move up here in 2000, then again in 2004. I’m guessing most of them didn’t get around to it. Maybe next week all the creationist, god hates fags types will talk about moving to, uh, ok so they don’t really have anywhere to go. But if they did, they’d stay anyway, cuz they like their home, even if a bunch of people they share it with don’t like them much.

RoritskyBellowskov

November 1, 2008 at 11:39 pm

3. Andy,
    You really didn’t have to waste your time with this rather lengthy post of yours. I never ever said that Quebec was perfect, you’re just putting words in my mouth, in fact, it’s extremely far from perfect. You’d realize that if you’ve been to Scandinavia or the Netherlands for example, and even those are not perfect.

The rest of your post basically just goes on and on accusing me of and lecturing me on something I didn’t say nor believe in, a huge waste of time and energy on your part.

“something trivial like state of TTC’s vehicles”

I wrote about the state of TTC’s vehicles because I was discussing public transit with AFG. Plus it’s not trivial at all if you happen to study/work urban/transportation planning like I do. What’s trivial is someone who thinks it’s trivial to talk about that.

“You ridicule anyone who disagrees with you (e.g. ABP) as a hypocrite”
    Actually, it was ABP was called me a “hypocrite” first in his post dated 1 Nov 08 at 11:09 am. Go back and check before you, yet again, wrongly accuse me.

“you fail to come up with a rebuttal”

Again, a futile accusation.

Sorry, better luck next time.

Cancerous

November 1, 2008 at 11:49 pm

4. “Not true, I did. I clearly showed that ABP was a hypocrite for insinuating that Quebec wasn’t green when his province (along with Alberta) have the worst environmental records in the country and that Quebec had the best after BC. ABP himself admitted that.
    Again, a futile accusation.”

There you go again, foaming at the mouth..

EOS

November 2, 2008 at 12:13 am

5. “Sorry my friend…you lost the argument as you finally had to admit you agreed with me about the asbestos thing. Perhaps you should pay a bit more attention to what Andy had to say.”

Wow.
    You’re either pretending to be dumb, or actually are.

The asbestos issue is a problem (because Quebec is not perfect) but Quebec still has the second best environmental record in the country, and it sure as hell is better than both Saskatchewan and Alberta combined. These latter two are at the very bottom of the list, and according to the Suzuki foundation, even Newfoundand and Nunavut rank better. You have a long way to go to come even remotely close to what Quebecs standard today, which is itself far from perfect. Refusing to concede that fact makes you look 12.

And by the way, you’ve been foaming at the mouth for months on end talking about the OLA and how Western Canada is the poor victim in all of this. Practically not one day passes by without you bitching and complaining and repeating your boring mantra about bilingualism and separation. You might as well copy and paste your text. Practically everybody on this blog knows what your purpose here is, really, you’re not contributing anything new, you sound like a broken record. Maybe it’s time you get yourself a new subject to talk about.

Cancerous

November 2, 2008 at 12:34 am

6. @ ABP:

“The west has issues which is why we are working on new technolgies to reduce carbon emissions”

Cancerous

November 2, 2008 at 12:41 am

7. “Wow.
    You’re either pretending to be dumb, or actually are”

Perhaps, but I think you have now proved Andy’s post well. Insults and innuendo, the order of the day.

You seem to know my purpose here. Could you enlighten me as to what that is as you apparently share, from your admission, with all the others on this blog. Carefull with that, you are making generalizations again…

November 2, 2008 at 12:46 am

8. @ Cancerous

Wonder what Suziki would have to say about the Asbestos issue.

Now that would be interesting…Perhaps I will call him on Monday and get his thoughts on this.

BTW- do you actually have meaningful employment or are you a student perhaps.

November 2, 2008 at 12:50 am

9. “By the way, what are some of these marvellous new technologies you speak of? Any examples?”

November 2, 2008 at 12:53 am

10. @ ABP:

“Carbon capture for one but then again I wouldn’t want to bore you with the details.”

Yeah right.
    Let’s be honest here, there are no plans.

Don’t make execuses, either present concrete facts/proof or accept the fact that your province along with Alberta are absolutely the worst when it comes to the environment and being green. After all, it’s really nothing new.

“So now your agreeing that Quebec is not perfect, didn’t seem to be the case when you were sparring with AGF about Toronto vs Montreal.”

There is no “now”, I dare you to find a quote that was written by me in the past claming that Quebec was perfect. You, along with Andy, are just making baseless assumptions and putting words in my mouth.

Anyways, I don’t insult people unless they deserve it, so if you felt offended by anything I said, then do accept my apologies.
    I am here to partake in intelligent and stimulating conversations, offer my opinion and listen to others’, not to engage in low and childish insults and accusations.

It’s just that you keep going back to the obscure asbestos issue and make it sound like Quebec is not green AT ALL because of it, meanwhile you can’t come up with one green technology being initiated in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Cancerous

November 2, 2008 at 1:33 am

11. ABP,

Your continuously coming up with asbestos lately as a hammer argument against Quebec is particularly telling of your way of painting up things to suit yourself.
    Here’s why :

1) Most importantly, the asbestos lobby profits very few people in Quebec these days : Roughly 700 workers, and a handful of entrepreneurs.
    Whatever gains or losses those people get from having asbestos labeled “hazardous” or not, whatever battles they wage, whether or not asbestos can really be used safely with proper care…., all that is decided 10,000 feet above the heads of people like me and the very vast majority of other Quebeckers.

And, seriously, I’d be ready to bet 100$ that if a poll was taken on that topic, nearly 100% of Quebec’s population would be in favor of banning asbestos use altogether.

So, to use asbestos to somehow Éprove” that Quebeckers do not care about environment is simply disingenuous.

(Now compare that with how you’ve been gloating that your province suddenly doesn’t require equalization, all thanks to oily sands exploitation…)

2) In a blog that mainly concerns French-Canadians’ will to emancipate themselves, you’ve come up with exactly the wrong topic.

-My grandfather died of lung failure after working the second half of his life in asbestos in Thetford Mines.
    That means that the people who told him to “speak white” most of his adult life, the people he had to learn to speak English to, the people who hid the studies showing how dangerous asbestos was to his health for decades, the people responsible for him not being able to climb the 7-8 steps from his basement at the end of his life because he would go out of breath (though his arms were still as big as my thighs); the people also responsible for my mother now having only 1/3 of lung capacity, what with being raised in a town where all the buildings’ walls were insulated with asbestos, all come from your side of the Canadian divide.

Raman

November 2, 2008 at 6:08 am

12. “not to engage in low and childish insults and accusations”

Read you own posts with regards to insults!

November 2, 2008 at 7:37 am

13. “all thanks to oily sands exploitation”

We dont have any oil sands developments here as of yet.

“2) In a blog that mainly concerns French-Canadians’ will to emancipate themselves, you’ve come up with exactly the wrong topic”

What does asbestos have anything to do with Quebec “emancipation” I simply stated that I thought asbestos should not likley be mined or used Widely in building construction as your own familie’s example illustrates. I am sure there are some legitimate uses for the product if utilized in a controlled manner.

November 2, 2008 at 7:49 am

14. “Sure, he has a sense of humour, but I also think he and others genuinely don’t like anglos very much and make very little effort to hide that… You just won’t find those kind of generalizations about francophones anywhere on this blog, except by the occasional one-post provocateur.”

You *will* find those kind of generalizations all over the place in Canadian media and discourse, including on this blog. You yourself may not be prejudiced, and there are plenty of other thoughtful people who post here, but the fact that anglos and francos in Canada have what may be politely termed “a problem” cannot be news to anyone.

If I can for a moment speak for the Rest of the World (quiet in the back please), we are all a little mystified over why the pleasant, polite, progressive inhabitants of your beautiful, frosty country/ies turn so nasty when the language issue comes up. One wonders if it is like the old saying about academics’ disputes– that the battles are so brutal because the stakes are so small– but really it is something to behold.

Speaking for just myself again, I wish you all the best, anglo and franco alike, and I know that one of these days you will come to an arrangement that works. In the meantime, I hope that you and your leaders find ways to address these things with the maturity and goodwill that Canada is known for.

“Personally, I don’t see anything strange about feeling attached to your home, despite having a few beefs with it.”

Me neither– I’ve got enough “beefs” with my home country I should buy a ranch, but I still like it here– but on the other hand there is no real reason why moving from Quebec to Ontario (or vice versa) in search of a cultural fit or economic opportunity should be any more earthshaking or politically loaded than moving from Calgary to Vancouver.

“Maybe next week all the creationist, god hates fags types will talk about moving to, uh, ok so they don’t really have anywhere to go. But if they did, they’d stay anyway, cuz they like their home, even if a bunch of people they share it with don’t like them much.”

Those guys have Texas! Which I believe Barbara Kay has never visited. (Keeping it on topic…)

well-wisher

November 2, 2008 at 2:19 pm

15. Haha Roritsky and ABP, it’s so fun to be treated as some kind of white franco trash… it’s so far from realty men, you’ld be surprised ;)! I would so much love you if you were my neighbours, we would have such a nice relationship but the thing is, even if we are in fact, in truth you’re some kind of bosses to me since you can alway impose what you want (even the Constitution!) to my people even if they don’t want it… Sad there’s not enough of them (or of you if you don’t include yourself) understanding that the solution is having our own country!

L'ADQ

November 2, 2008 at 4:01 pm

16. “Sad there’s not enough of them (or of you if you don’t include yourself) understanding that the solution is having our own country!”

You must not read english well for if you did you would understand that I am in favor of Quebec separating and becoming a separate country. I have repeated this on many occassions. Quebec = Fench (joual) , ROC= English. I see this as the only solution to satisfy Quebec and prevent the futher “enforced bilingualism” in the rest of the country as it is happening now, at huge cost to taxpayers. This brought to us courtesay of Ottawa’s band of misguided politicians who are only interested in their own personel self interest.

As best I can do and excuse-mois pour me mon faux paux avec la francais.

Vous ne devez pas lire l’anglais pour bien si vous ne l’avez vous comprendrez que je suis veux de la séparation du Québec et de devenir un pays distinct. J’ai dit encore plus encore à beaucoup temps. Québec = FENCH (Joual), ROC = Anglais. Je penser cela comme la seule solution pour satisfaire le Québec et l’empêcher de nouvelles “disparitions forcées bilinguisme» dans le balance du pays, comme cela se produit maintenant, à un combiene haut pour les contribuables. Ce qui nous par d’Ottawa de la bande de politiques qui sont uniquement intéressés par leur propre intérêt personnel.

November 2, 2008 at 9:04 pm

17. No, no, no, L’ADO and ABP! You are talking about nothing. Better for you to talk about folk culture. French or English, whatever… We don’t care. Now we are decision-makers in Quebec. New immigrants. Quebec should stay in Canada. It’s more profitable for us.

New Quebecois

November 3, 2008 at 6:19 am

18. Ah so sorry ABP, I understand that you’re some kind of Canadian nationalist but with common sense! I should correct myself then : “sorry there’s not enough of them, or of yours, understanding that we’ld have a much better relationship as neighbours, allies and friends”. Anyway it was an answer to your comments about me, more than to your general rhetoric.

L'ADQ

November 3, 2008 at 10:54 am

19. “Anyway it was an answer to your comments about me, more than to your general rhetoric.”

Oui, je sais que maintenant, desole pour me repondre a vous. Quebec serait mieux comme une pays de seule,et, tout le monde aussis dans le balance du Canada …Je penser oui et le solutione pour notre problemes pour fois de nous.

C’est la vie en notre pays ou notre deux pays.

a plus tard

November 3, 2008 at 9:08 pm

20. “Quebec should stay in Canada. It’s more profitable for us.”
    Sorry New Quebecois, it is precisely this type of reasoning that I am begining to support a separate Quebec, and I’m an Anglophone Quebecer.
    It is profitable for Quebec to remain in Canada considering the billions in transfer/equalization payments Quebec receives, paid for by all of Canada’s loyal and true Canadian taxpayers! I feel it is for this reason we should separate from Canada.
    Also, Anglophone Quebecers stand to have a stronger fight in a new country as a large ethnic minority. Go ahead, separate, if I’m not happy, I can, as others suggest on this blog, go to another English Canadian province because technically it is easy for us to leave our roots.

AQ

November 4, 2008 at 9:00 pm

21. ” Go ahead, separate, if I’m not happy, I can, as others suggest on this blog, go to another English Canadian province because technically it is easy for us to leave our roots”

Quebec should become a sovereign nation..only then can they become themselves as they want…but this time without the support that you have indicated..

You would not likely be happy after that day..they could not blame the shortcomings on the anglos but only inward on themselves.. you are welcome in the ROC if the burden becomes heavy, which it inevitably become.

November 4, 2008 at 9:51 pm

22. “Barbara Kay latest: “The regions of Quebec outside Montreal are probably the last place in the western world where virtually an entire population is culturally homogeneous”
    1. – source http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/10/30/barbara-kay-h-233-rouxville-the-mouse-that-roared-is-the-inspiration-behind-quebec-s-new-cultural-clarity-act.aspx

I don’t think anyone has responded directly to this but Kay’s statement here is total crapola. The journalistic equivalent of “assault with intent”. And yet some people on this forum try and tell us we’re just imagining Quebec-bashing or pulling out dusty old examples from yesteryear…

Funny also how someone who accuses an entire group of people of being inward-looking actually doesn’t really know that much about the broader world outside of her posh Westmount perch.

Consider the preposterous statement that Quebec outside of Montreal stands out from the rest of the western world because of its cultural homogeneity. In fact, this is true of most countries in Europe outside of their major cities. Rural areas of Germany are generally populated massively by people named Schmidt, Shwartz and Schneider. In Italy, outside of a few large cities, pretty much everyone you meet has a name like Rossi, Esposito, Bianchi, etc. Same goes for places like Sweden, Norway, Denmark, all of which are considered “enlightened” countries that no one in their right mind would refer to as ethnocentric backwaters.

If anything, Quebec outside Montreal is likely more diverse than many of these places, given the presence of aboriginal blood in a large segment of the population, as well as the presence of Irish, English, Scottish and other bloodlines, many of which are hidden by name changes that have taken place over the generations: Riel (Reilly), Phaneuf (Farnsworth), Sylvain (Sullivan), Tisdelle (Teasdale), Rodrigue (Rodrigues), Sylvestre (Silvestri)…

Her angle is just a pseudo-intellectual adaptation of the classic racist rant that French Canadians are all just a bunch of inbreds, which explains a “whole bunch of things about Quebec”. Wink Wink.

Perhaps for her next foray she will bring up the prevalence of certain surnames in francophone Quebec, like Tremblay, which is borne by 1.3% of the population. Once again, she will have to be reminded by those who know better that the name Smith is borne by 1% of the population in the United States of America, and that in enlightened non-backwaters like Denmark, Jensens make up around 6 or 7% of the population, as do Hansens and Neilsens.

Quebec, with its urban and rural components, is a totally normal, western society. For some reason, many people out there like Barbara Kay just can’t accept that.

November 5, 2008 at 11:42 am

23. Of course we are going to leave Quebec after separation. Everything what we are doing here (I mean in a business) is of a short term. Nothing for the future. No big and last projects. Check how many immigrants in Canada live in the country – thousands. In Quebec – 0. Why? Everybody keeps in mind that Quebec will separate from the ROC. There are no idiots who want to stay and be isolated in this 101-only speaking country. Buy, buy equalization payments. Let the distinct nation starts working hard.

New Quebecois

November 5, 2008 at 1:10 pm

24. Acajack:

tremblay

November 5, 2008 at 1:30 pm

25. N.Q. “Check how many immigrants in Canada live in the country – thousands. In Quebec – 0.”

That stupid statement tells all about you.

Kriss

November 5, 2008 at 1:48 pm

26. Hopefully Marois is correct when she says she is going to call a referendum & hopefully this time it IS successful! I know I’ll be voting OUI.

AQ

November 5, 2008 at 2:42 pm

27. AQ- “Hopefully Marois is correct when she says she is going to call a referendum & hopefully this time it IS successful! I know I’ll be voting OUI.”

Me too!

New Quebecois

November 5, 2008 at 3:06 pm

28. “Do you know of a publication or a website were the origin of quebecois surnames is given?”

Sorry, I don’t. Most of these names I listed were off the top of my head, based mostly on people I know who’ve told me these were their origins, or the odd genealogy article I’ve read. Now that I think of it, I’ve also know Quebec francophones named Leahy/Leahey/Lahaie/Lahaye, and apparently this is all originally the same (Irish-origin) name as well.

November 5, 2008 at 4:16 pm

29. No better time to vote PQ in the upcoming Provincial election, will bring us one step closer to our next desired referendum.

AQ

November 5, 2008 at 4:41 pm

30. “No better time to vote PQ in the upcoming Provincial election, will bring us one step closer to our next desired referendum”

Correct and good luck!!